RE: {Chrysler 300} Safety Suggestion .....INSPECT Your Old Wheels

RE: {Chrysler 300} Safety Suggestion .....INSPECT Your Old Wheels

John,

I can tell you how they screwed up. When they made the wheels, they cut a center off of a wheel and then welded it into new hoops. The flange on the centers were cut off in a lathe.

They did NOT dress the flanges and just pressed the center in and welded them.  The ninety-degree edges of those flanges were not rounded nor were the parting lines on the flanges radiused to remove sharp edges.

Since it required a 2-inch backspace, the weld took place right on the “bend” of the hoop drop. The stress of the center flexing caused the edges to ‘dig in” over time and cause cracks.

They basically did crappy work. No attention to detail for a wheelwright shop that had been there for over 100 years.

My welder tried to clean it up, but it is a loosing battle. That is why I am going to get some off the shelf wheels and just use some spacers.  The lessor of two evils.

James