Re: 400 or 440

Your opinion counts! We?re conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
caab6Pib7yoMza/ Val Rad

   I think the real difference is the web thickness in the early (230)
blocks.  The webs are almost twice as thick as a 440 block, thus making the block
theoretically stronger, as well as being about 65 lbs lighter.  Neal, If you can
find the 400 blocks ending in the casting number 230, buy them all and you
will never lose money.  They only made them for about 8 months.  As for building
a 400, they were cursed as a smog motor with low compression, sometimes as
low as 7.6 to one, to run on whale oil.  They respond to nomal modifications.
Aftermarket high compression pistons are lighter, the 400 rods are shorter,
lighter and somewhat stronger than 440 rods.  If you have a 440 crank turned down
it will be lighter. and the engine size is physically smaller to fit in
engine bays that normally have fitment problems with headers and starters.  A
properly built 400 stroker will rev like a small block and make hp/tq like a big
block, and will cost just a little more than building a 440.  This is due to the
crank work which cost me 300.00.   Go for it!     Joe