Re: newbie question

[AD removed for archives]
RE-GROW YOUR HAIR STARTING NOW.....Click here for more info!
caacxydb7yoMza/Medical Hair Restoration

Hi
      Welcome.....I own a 1964 Chrysler New Yorker (along with some other
stuff) which is a similar car to your Newport. These particular cars haven't
really gained a substantial  following by hobbyists/collectors so
information on them is a bit scant( Where I live I know of only one other
'64 Chrysler being tended to).In fact these cars (63/64) have a reputation
of being excellent power train "Donor cars" for early "B" body Big block
conversions !!! Step one GET A SERVICE MANUAL I can't over emphasize that
step in the restoration process, and finding one is not that hard as there
are numerous vendors out there who can provide one *(Irv Bishko books being
one example). You could also locate one at most major car collector swap
meets. Sales brochures, tech manuals bulletins etc. are also out there and
are a substantial source of info. There is also the source you are now
using.....other Enthusiasts
Upgrades and interchangability, getting to know the car and its cousins
(Custom 880's ,Desotos) provides a lot of info on interchangability , as
these early "C" bodies shared a lot of components back to 1960 with the
introduction of the Unit Body.
Books like the Hollander (wrecking yard interchange manual) provides raw
data in the way of interchangability.
With regard to your other questions , seatbelts are not difficult as your
car should be equipped with factory anchors in the floor, all you require
are the anchor bolts and the belts which can be located through the
aftermarket .
Lead additive, I wouldn't worry to much about that as  your car will not
doubt not see heavy duty use, My Chrysler and My Desoto have been running
just fine on regular pump gas with the occasional use of Bardahl  upper
cylinder lubricant.
With regard to the brakes, with a serious brake job(top quality work no
shortcuts or monkey business) & quality linings your Chrysler will stop just
fine from 80 miles ber hour.
My New Yorker has drum brakes on all four corners and it has no problem
coming to a halt, at low speeds the power brakes are very sensitive to the
point of if you slam them , your passengers could end up on the dash board!
Save yourself $$$ and grief by repairing what you have.
The brakes that were poor were the Chrysler "Three platform total contact "
brakes , these brakes require an experts touch to keep them up and are
trouble prone, those brakes pre-date your Chrysler by one model year . In
fact, a past "fix" for Early Chrysler and Desotos
(60 to 62 )with the platform brakes was to install 63/ 64 Chrysler brakes as
they bolted right on.  The Bendix dual servo braking system on your Chrysler
is a very dependable & simple braking system , good service will keep them
doing a good job.

 Regards
  Wally
 63 Dodge etc.