RE: Obvious Brake Choice?

[AD removed for archives]
We can reduce your unsecured credit card debt by 40-60%.
Don?t file bankruptcy.  Be Debt Free in as little as 1 year. Take
control of your situation.  100% FREE Consultation.
caacSn6b7yoMza/KnockOutDebt

Hi,

I agree with Gary except you do not have to change the upper control
arms if you just change the spindle and add the backing plate.

If you have already redone the ball joints and such, get the spindles
and backing plates from a 74-76 Valiant or Dart and change the spindle.
Then go to the local NAPA store and buy hoses, rotors and calipers and
pads for the Valiant.

The rotors actually will work from a car as new as a 1987 Diplomat or
Fifth Avenue.

I did  mine and it was actually easy and not too much money. ($250
range).  The expensive stuff for me was the ball joints and control arm
bushings.

Good luck.

Kevin

Gary Futrell wrote:

> Jim,
>
>   I know this is not one of your options on the list
> and you have already rebuilt the frontend, but I would
> find some early 70's A body disc brake spindles and
> the upper control arms. It wouldn't be that hard to
> pop the old spindles and upper arm off. The conversion
> isn't that expensive and works great. New rotors and a
> dual master cylinder are very reasonable and rebuilt
> calipers aren't that bad either. I just went ahead and
> bent new stainless lines for my system and it stops
> great. I gave it a good test the other day when going
> to a club meeting when some old bag pulled out in
> front of me. Glad I had those disc brakes and I'm not
> sure the old drums would have done the job.
>
>    Gary
>

> --- Jim Jablonski <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Your free subscription is supported by today's
> > sponsor:

> > Stock car lovers - get a FREE gift here!
> >
> caacSnKb3nTfUa/PermissionData

> > Folks ... your thoughts please.  I am in the "brake
> > phase" of the
> > restoration to my '64 Fury ... and I have to decide
> > on whether or not to
> > convert to disc (in the front).
> >
> > Here's my take on the options:
> >
> > a) Stay with the front drum setup, and after buying
> > drums, bearings,
> > shoes, an upgraded (dual) MC, wheel cylinders, H/W,
> > and lines, etc.,
> > I'll have spent about $700
> >
> > b) Go with a disc brake conversion kit that bolts to
> > the existing
> > spindles (because I've already completely rebuilt
> > the front suspension).
> >  I am thinking that I can probably pull this off
> > with a Wilwood or P-S-T
> > kit for just less than $1,000
> >
> > Has anyone made this decision, have other thoughts,
> > regrets, advice,
> > sources, etc.?  I am not arguing the performance
> > advantages of a disc
> > setup, but as usual I am not working with an
> > unlimited budget ...
> >
> > As always, thanks!
> >
> > Jim Jablonski
> > Royal Oak, Michigan
> > '64 Fury
> >
> > Your free subscription is supported by today's
> > sponsor:

> > Are you serious about buying a NEW car or truck
> > soon?
> > Research before stepping on the car lot and save
> > THOUSANDS!
> > Get NO OBLIGATION price quotes from car dealers in
> > your area.
> >
> caacOlPb3nTfUf/LeadClick

> > ----
> > Please address private mail -- mail of interest to
> > only one person -- directly to that person.  I.e.,
> > send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well
> > as other personal messages only to the intended
> > recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This
> > practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total
> > volume of mail and fine tune the content signal to
> [...]

Kevin R. Merkley
Thunder Bay, Ontario
64 Dodge 440 2dr HT (Cdn)

[AD removed for archives]
Stock car lovers - get a FREE gift here!
caacSnKb7yoMzf/PermissionData

----

b7yoMz.