Re: Rear A/C Units

[AD removed for archives]
caac2NQa/PermissionData

Wade, I learned a couple of things from your email, thanks. My '63 Imperial has a rear a/c unit so I'm kind of interested in the dual a/c setup in general. I think I have a correction, though. I have a picture of a 1973 dual a/c Town&Country where they used a ceiling mounted rear view mirror. It looks like it has a longer extension on it than the regular sedans, maybe/maybe not. Yet another piece of trivia to investigate.

Thanks again.
Eric
Portland, Oregon

Chrysler made these rear AC units from 59 until mid 70s. The unit never
changed and will fit any full sized wagon.
There were different C pillar interior caps that hid the freon, electric and
drain lines where were specific to each model but the unit stayed the same.
You just need to run the freon lines to the back of the car. That was done
underneath. The unit has a two speed fan.
I dont think it would have enough BTUs as a stand alone. It was added as an
optional unit to cars that already had a factory dash unit. The fan turns on
seperately from the front unit. You used it on really hot days, or when you had
rear passengers. (9 pass)
I had one in my 59 Plymouth Sport Suburban.
I saw this one on Ebay and was considering getting it for my 61 Plymouth
wagon which has an aftermarket underdash unit with a modern roterary compressor.
Since I dont have the c pillar caps and the cost of shipping it was very high I
decided not to get it. If your wagon has the same c pillars as a 65, I would
only get it if this guy can provide these caps otherwise you will not be able
to hid the freon lines.
Oh yeah,, you need a dash mounted rear view mirror since you will not be able
to see out of your regular top of the windshield mirror.. Chrysler continued
to put those early dash mounted rear view mirrors in any dual air wagons until
the end. The regular top mirror was deleted.
Wade

[AD removed for archives] ------------------------------------------------------------------- Like music? Get a CD player on us. Click here. caac48Rf/PermissionData -------------------------------------------------------------------

----

http:///u/?.