Re: Digest for 1962to1965mopars@, issue 2396

[AD removed for archives]
Show your pride with a free* USA T-shirt.  Click here to confirm
your address.
caac48Ta/PermissionData

Ok . 218 is fairly mild so it may be ok. One trick that you can try for MPG
that sometimes works although not always so you have to ex[eriment. is to
set up the advance curve to what the engine wants mechanically then hook the
vaccum advance to manifold vacumm. (check to see if has vacum at idle, that
is manifold vacuum.
Under light throttle which is high in manifold vacuum. yu will have the
extra advance but when you stand on it manifold vaccum will fall to zero and
the vacuum advance will be inactive. it iwill take some playing to find what
works best but I have done it on Brank X for my bowtie buddies.
having said that I must say that my 63 with the 400 I had in it,, with a 310
duration (adv) and 525" lift did give 14.97 mpg (Imperial gallon. (which is
5 american Quarts) on a really long trip with 3:91 gears.
I thought that was more than respectable. It had full mechanical only in
fact it had the distributor in it from my Old Relaible 440 , the one
described in the book. That same distributor is sitting inthe 426 wedge
currently occupying the engine bay.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)