RE: Cam, lifters, motor trouble FYI..Kinda long.

RE: Cam, lifters, motor trouble FYI..Kinda long.

[AD removed for archives]
caac2NQa/PermissionData

I totally concur with this. I got the same information from Jim Dowel at
Racer Brown a year and a half ago with I got him to grind
me a cam for my truck. I do think that you would be safe using Mopar lifters
on any performance Hyd cam. But it looks like solid is the
way to go for a while.

Earl

what you have experienced is a problem with 2 groups. first, hughe's
selling something that he new there was a problems with (he ain't the only
one!), and second there is a hydraulic lifter problem out there. hughe's
stating  that there is only one lifter company is somewhat correct. several
years ago the cam grinders bought their tappets from Eaton. Eaton quit
making flat tappets and  this decimated the performance folks who were used
to having a high quality  hydraulic tappet. the cam manufacturers were
forced to buy from a company that  produced second rate tappets. i didn't
pull this information out of the air. it  came directly from Mark Engle of
Engle cams. in my last build i went thru 2  hydraulic camshafts. the first
was a comp. cams xe275hl. i lost the #3 intake  tappet on break in. the
tappet was spinning but just erroded away! the second  cam was an engle k58.
cam broke in fine but the internal valving in the tappets  wouldn't get them
pumped up due to sloppy tolerances. i finally settled on an  engle k65 solid
after a very lengthy discussion with Mark Engle.
i'm very  satisfied with this solid, wish i'd done it in the first place,
and don't recommend any performance hydraulics due to tappet failures. i'm
of  the understanding that hughe's is using chinese tappets now, and don't
know if there are any quality issues. racer brown is offering an "optional"
hydraulic tappet now. until the tappet problem is solved i will avoid ALL
hydraulic cams, especially performance cams, like the  plague.

[AD removed for archives]