Hyrdarulic tappets

[AD removed for archives]
Show your pride with a free* USA T-shirt.  Click here to confirm
your address.
caac2N5a/PermissionData

We use the sealed power speed pro TRW  ferdral Mogul tappets  and have had good luck with them. I would be nervous using the MP tappets. but that is just my opinion. Cat also makes hydraulic tappets and i am tempted to give them a try.
If you have the bucks Joe Schubeck has special hydraulic tappets , I believe they are ceramic. I have a customer who bought a set of these and is just thrilled with them.  No chance of failure as these would run even with almost no lubrication.  There are still a lot of New Old Stock tappets around. How do you know? Well if they are in TRW boxes you would be pretty safe as that brand has not been around for a few years now. We have been Ok here so far. Cam breakin is really critical.. We had some soft ones in the past but they were not Hydraulic cams.
Another factor i have run accross was a batch of MP springs that had excessive seat pressure. We had two sets here with over 180 # seat pressure. I suspect the wrong springs were out togeter in the right box. Now they seem Ok again. We check all spring pressures on our Sring balance fixture (Perterson spring balancer , which tests them assembled.
We are also very very fussy about cam lubricants when we assemble the engines. I never believed what cam with the cam was sufficient.
Also i believe some cams are soft as produced. I am never happy with te non parkerized finish onthe MP cams. and I am always suspcious of the cams from a cetain very very popular manufacturer. unfortunately if a cam fails despite all the promise it is yours to eat and often the lifters get blamed, your assembly proceedures are questioned . whatever oil you used is deemed no good etc etc . No one ever says the cam was defective but I suspect more than a few are.
Has anyone tested the lifters for hardness or are we just guessing because somecam manufacturer said so.? Inquirering minds need to KNOW
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

[AD removed for archives]
Like music?  Get a CD player on us. Click here.
caac2NUf/PermissionData

----

http:///u/?.