Re: trash or stash- 8.25 questions

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:13:55 -0800, Gary Wilson <MOPAR413@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Keep it Neal.  You never know when you might have a use for it or maybe
> someone else will need it and you can make some money.

Like ME!!  :D  Calling all 8.25" axle owners, I need one!  Drum to
Drum preferably an A body.  I need some expert advice on rear ends.

I was finally able to score a set of 4.5" front discs for my A body
Lancer.  Now I need some help exploring options for a rear 4.5" setup
as well.  Here are the main options I've explored and would like some
feedback on:

1-	8.25" Rear from an A body.  Perfect fit for the springs, larger
drums, axle is 1.5" inches narrower than my 7.25".  More rubber
underneath!  This would be my first choice from someone who has
upgraded to the 8.75"

2-	Redrill my current 7.25" from 4" SBP to 4.5" BBP.  How expensive
would this be to do?  I currently have 3.23 gears, open diff, and a
/6.  So I think it should be plenty strong enough for my purposes.

3-	8.25" Rear from an F body Volare.  I had someone offer to sell me
their 8.25", 3.23 w/suregrip drum to drum axle for $150.  However,
this comes with some problems.  The F body's springs were situated
about ¾" wider than the A body on both sides.  Its also about 1.5"
wider than my 7.25" which would put the tires out wider than the front
(but I have enough room in the wheel wells I fairly certain).

Solutions for the Volare Rear:
1)	Use Mancini racing shackles that are offset about ¾".  They are for
moving your springs inwards, but I guess they *could* be used for the
opposite.  Thoughts on how this may effect suspension/handling?
2)	Remove & reweld leaf spring locations to the A body location?
(cost?  Risks?)
3)	Other?

Sorry for the long post and lots of questions.  Thanks in advance!

Menko