Re: Buying parts from a private party

[AD removed for archives]
Buy any items from KMART from clothes to tool with a $500 Kmart
gift card. All you have to do is click on the link and recieve
your gift!
caadi1fbOyW3Na/RewardsVenue

HI Doug,

I'm  have purchased a ton of parts over the last few years from "strangers".

Here is what I try to do.

1.  Get a cell & a home phone number.  (If they won't give this to you, red flag #1)

2.  After you find out where they live, see if someone, (aka 62-65 group), lives nearby
and won't mind picking the parts up for you and shipping them.  (You may want to tip them).

3.  Ask if they sell on eSteal, I mean eBay.  If they do, ask for there id.  Verify the feedback on them.

4.  Be EXPLICIT on how you want the items shipped.  Carboard with stuffing, wooden crate, etc.

5.  Be Explicit on Shipping.  Get it insured.  Get a tracking #...  Get the first born son.... Ok, maybe that's a little too far...

6.  Let your conscious be your guide.  If your GUT tells you that something is up or that the transaction doesn't feel right.  WALK Away.  I can't tell you have many times that I have saved my butt by just listening to my conscious.

7.  Call the person at least 3 times. Ask about the part, condtion, how long they have been in the hobby, etc.  You want to create repour.  Then you can tell if they are a straight shooter.  Again your heart will tell you.

8.  Get DETAILED pictures of the item.  Ask them to compare the item to a 100% Concours Museum piece.  Then to tell you every minute problem with it.  You want them to OVER describe it rather then under....

9.  If you feel they are honest, then ask if they have anything else for sale.  You never know what else they have that they might be thinking of selling.  Maybe an A990 car for cheap...

10.  Use the other suggestions on the list....

Thomas

Douglas Sutherland <pluckedchickens@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am considering buying some hard to find parts for my '64 Sport Fury. I
will be sending $400 to someone I do not know -- I only spoke with him over
the phone a couple of times.

I believe most people are honest and I probably have nothing to worry about.
BUT, what is the best way to handle this transaction? What form of
payment should I use?

Thanks for your advice!

[AD removed for archives]
2-Day Tax Refund Loans TaxBrain Online Tax Service Get Started
Now!
caadeMnb7tdEpf/TaxBrain

----