Re: GM hei

[AD removed for archives]
Sign up today for a No Annual Fee Discover® Platinum Card and get?
0% Intro APR on Purchases & Balance Transfers for 8 Months, Up to
2% Cashback Bonus® reward on your purchases & 100% fraud
protection.
caadfzUbOyW3Na/DiscoverCard

you make a good point "if the engine is tuned right"
i had a rear float give me problems, that resulted in a lean
condition, without good spark and good fuel, this would have likely
caused serious engine trouble.
it is nice to have the reliability of that high spark

tom
65 satellite

Don Dulmage <big-d@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The only advantage to the GM hei would be the high voltage available. Easily solved by using a late 80s Mopar coil with a mopar electronic system,

When jetting and such are right, there is little if any advantage to higher igntion power. it is usually a cover up for an engine that is not set up properly.
We have done back to back runs with stock Mopar, The gold box multistrike unit and a crane full race system.(which is not a bad deal by the way) Difference, not even 1 /1000th .
The GM Hei was made so they could run their engines way lean in the mide 70s and get rid of the lean roll or misfire by using super high voltage and a wide spark gap to get the hard to light out of proportionmixture to fire consistantly. (Olds were ,at first ,as high as an 080" gap but soon reduced it to the same as chevies in practice.) Typical gaps are 045".
Chrysler , having figured this all out in advance had cylinder heads and an ignition system that would give minimum emmisiions without all this crap. They did not even need cat converters for several years.
the BIGGEST advantage of going electronic is it never goes out of adjustment because there is no point wear , no point burning and very little bushing wear.
I worked on a boat with a pair of 440s that had a set of reworked OLds HEI distributors (both run CC)
The reason I was consulted was because the rich owner had been lead to believe the boat would go faster with hotter spark In fact it did not and he was just a bit ticked of. Boats often run a ful throttle, something we rarely do on the street for any length of time.
So use the Gm HEI conversions if you must but remember , many of the tests will say it picked up 3 tenths in the quater and 2 mph but that was not in fact from the higher voltage, It was more often from the new spark plugs (new wires, cap and rotor etc that went in with it.
All that is required is to light the cylinder off. It is hardest to light a breakaway, from a Stopped condition and very easy to light at high RPM. An oscillascope will show this easily if you watch the secondary spark voltages as you drive or on a dyno.
The thing to remember is Do you get a bigger bang from a bigger spark? No more than you get a bigger camp fire from a bigger match. What is critical is does it light the cylinder off everytime.
When everything is set up right and jetting is good etc etc the stock system is more than capable of doing the job. We run the Accel SS coil on some cars and the Crane E core coil on others . That gets the voltage where we are sure there is no chance of a missfire.
So use what you want but becareful before you throw your money away on something that has little potential of giving you back retruns. And beware of "feels better" stuff. As any racer will tell you. it is often the run that felt the best that is the worst and the one that seemed soft that gives the best et. The mind is a dangerous thing.
Still It is your choice
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

[AD removed for archives]
Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
caadlpbbOgXg2f/ProductTestPanel

----