RE: shop air system

[AD removed for archives]
Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
caadlVAbOyW3Na/ProductTestPanel

Is this three carb Stan?

Welcome back! :)

OSHA and the Plastic Pipe Institute apparently say plastic pipe is too
likely to shatter unexpectantly if used in high pressurized air system.

Here's a typical blurb, copied from a woodworker's discussion group:

"Using plastic pipe in any compressed air system is strongly discouraged
in pressures over 60psi. Don't use it. For a wood or cabinent shop
blowing off sawdust it's fine. OSHA sets this limit at 30psi. The
problem with the plastics is the additive packages in today's compressor
lubricants cause the inside of plastic pipe to deteriorate, become
brittle, and cause shrapnel type projectiles in high pressure failures.
Cases have been documented of shrapnel penetrating drywall 30' away.
Review OSHA.org. Aluminum pipe is the best, and goes up without chemical
glues (plastic) or fire (copper) and is expandible when your shop
grows."
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Compressed_air_delivery_system.html

and a Tech Sheet from the Plastic Pipe Institute:

Tech Sheet 101: Plastic Pipe Institute Recommendation Regarding the Use
of Thermoplastic Piping for the Transport of Compressed Air or Other
Compressed Gases

“The Plastics Pipe Institute recommends that thermoplastics piping
intended for the transport of compressed air or other compressed gasses
be
buried or encased in shatter resistant materials, unless the piping has
been
manufactured from materials which will resist shatter-type failures
under
the anticipated conditions. Specifically, aboveground installations of
thermoplastic piping should only be made using products which have been
suitably evaluated and which are recommended by the manufacturer for the
particular intended service.
It is recognized that while adequacy of strength is an important element
in
the safety of a compressed gas piping system, consideration must also be
given to the nature of failure should accidental failure occur, whatever
its
cause. Above-ground piping which fails by shattering can present a
serious
hazard to personnel by the resultant flying shards, or pipe fragments,
which
are rapidly propelled by the released energy of the suddenly
decompressing
gas. Because the inclination of material to fail by shattering is
determined
not only by the nature of the material, but by pressure, pipe and
fitting
dimensions, and by the nature of the gas, the evaluation of shatter
resistance
should consider all these and any other pertinent factors.”

Gary H.

Stanley Clinton wrote:

>  I'll opine on this. Why not use plastic pipe??? Way cheap and easy ti
>  install. I used 1" in my shop and run 150psi and have never had a
>  problem in ten years. No rust,no fuss, clean air.
>                                                                     Stan "computer up and running again" Clinton

[AD removed for archives]
Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free!
caadlVBbOyW3Nf/Amazing Computer

----

bOyW3N.