Re: rear main seal replacement

[AD removed for archives]
Click Here for the #1 Investigative tool on the Net!
caadlCpbOyW3Na/Web Detective

i can't speak for small blocks, but in the past, i have pulled several
main caps on 440's to check the bearings, and since nobody told me i
couldn't, i put them back together and the engines ran fine.

tom
65 satellite

Brian Safford <bsafford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The mechanic working on my 1962 Poly 318 is going to attempt to replace the rear main seal w/o removing the crank - says he should be able to just slide it in.

What chance of success do you experts think he'll have?

He also says that if he can't I'll then have to replace all the crank bearings when he removes the caps - says you can't re-use the crank bearings once you've removed the caps.

Bearings aren't that expensive, but I'd rather not incur the expense unless I have to.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

[AD removed for archives]
Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free!
caadlVBbOgXg2f/Amazing Computer

----