Re: New alternator for my '62 Dart

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Get the latest weather,
sports, and lifestyle news you can't afford to miss, all
at a price you can afford to pay!  Click now!
caaa9eYbOyW3Na/TopOffers
On 05 05/28/05, Brian Safford wrote:
> I was reading the October 2002 Mopar Muscle 'Driveway Tech' article, and it
> mentioned a two-field alternator and solid-state regulator conversion.
> There weren't any part numbers or sources though.

1960-69 cars were single field alternators accompanied by a mechanical
voltage regulator (VR)  (ex. Imperial which changed in 68 or 69..)

1970-1972 cars were dual field alternators accompanied by a solid
state voltage (VR), AKA electronic VR.  alternators used the same
type of pressed in rectifier diodes as the 60-69 alts.

73-> later cars were the same as the 70-72 except they have much
easier to replace diodes and are often called "square back" alts
because the diode arrangement forms a rectangle on the back of it.
this alternator continue through the late 70s. a 100amp alt was
introduced around '75 as an option (and replaced the Leece-Neville
units on cop cars) buts its a different animal altogether regarding
its physical size and mounting provisions.

any  70-74 dual field alt can replace a 60-69 single field alt so
long as one of the two fields is grounded.

any parts counter can provide either one.  though the 70-72 unit
is different than the 73-> square-back, some parts houses now lump
them both under one partno.

----

bOyW3N.