18 times a charm?? trans

[AD removed for archives]
Get a Free T-Mobile Sidekick II plus $500 towards service!
Click here.
caadAcqbOyW3Na/ProductTestPanel

"""""I have a question about bolt in sprags. What is the purpose of a
sprag?"""
ANSWER: Not to be rude but the term SPRAG is what chev's use,in a
mopar it can be called an over running clutch or one way clutch no
biggy. Now the perpose of the over running clutch is the hold when the
vehicle starts from the drive position. By hold,difficult to
explain,however it keeps the rear drum from turning so the gear
reduction in 1st gear can be used and it also provides braking on
hills etc when a manual valve bady is used. YES it is very important
piece indeed.

 At
what point do you need to put one in? " A bolt in"
This is a tough one but from what I gather in your descrition you
don't need one.They are at best difficult to install as far as getting
the bolts to line up and if you remove yours and use the RED Locatite
on the case splines. Reinstall,clamp it,and resteak it,it will be
fine.
Food for thought. I use my old 72 dodge truck for towing almost
exclusive. I rebuilt the trans and did just what I said to the over
running clutch. The problem?? I wads starting out in drive,many times
with a total gross of over 13,500lbs. In drive all that holds the
program at a so called sit still is the over running clutch. I was
crossing a major hi way with an old 56 plymouth on my trailer. I laid
into the 440 hard to get across and YIKES!!!!!!!   BOOM!!!
Starting in 1st the rear drum is also holding by the rear band,so I
did a no no. It broke out the rear case of the trans and etc,....... A
MESS? yes!

I raced my 65 hemi coronet many times. I had a 6800 shift governed
727. To protect the over running clutch,since the car at 4370lbs ran
11.81 et's at 110.4mph,I would leave in first then when the end of the
concrete pad showed up I would shift to drive and let the governor
take over. No failures in 5 years. Yes I would have felt a bit better
with a bolt in,so if you running an automatic shift valve body one is
not needed,if you run a manual valve body then YES install one as the
rear band does NOT! hold in manual 1st gear.

 Is there a horsepower or rpm limit for
the factory sprag? After talking to Rick at A&A, I'm ordering the
kevlar
bands, steels, clutches and a 4.2 lever. I forgot to ask him about the
sprag. I
am totally in the dark on 727 stuff. Is there any other parts I should
be
looking at for a 450 hp, 6000 rpm street motor? Thanking you in
advance. Joe

Joe looks like you picked a good bunch of goodies for your rebuild. If
you don't do it yourself,find a MoPar savy trans guy. and NO NO SHIFT
KITS...they kill torqueflites

Best of luck
david