RE: Racer brown vrs ultradyne

[AD removed for archives]
Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to get your 30-day free supply.
caadAckbOyW3Na/Nexiderm

Don,

I suspect that with iron heads your going to be right on with your expected
results
between 1.5/1.6 rockers... While your doing it, try the 1.6 rockers just on
the exhaust.
I suspect that you will see a small increase if not decent increase. Usually
the exhaust
side is the weak sister. I have good luck with that approach with other
brands but
I have never tried it on a Mopar...

Earl

Ok you asked I will tell you. First ,more lift in an iron headed engine does
not produce more power. , Usually less. .
What makes you so sure, Don? you ask . (I can hear what your thinking) Well
if you have been to my website you know I told you I tested everything
first so it is not opinion. I have run 23 cams in these motors .
I bought an untradyne 613 cam  after i had old reliable running strong. Our
head flow was in the mid 280 for CFM  at 540 lift. We knew that head flow
did not improve above that and in fact would go backwards above those
figures  We knew we could port the heads so they would sustain lifts to 600
but they still wouldnt flow as much air as the real good heads did at 540.
(Dvorak did a real good "honest" test of all heads in the 90s in Chrysler
power magzine and it is one of the best  i have seen Our own tests bore it
out exactly ) So still not sure i ordered the 613 cam as it was advertised
as the most powerful solid  racing cam currently available for the BB mopar
(Muscle motors ad from the early days. ) I replaced the racer brown which
was running 11.50s at the time  in a 4150 lb car. (I am not kidding that is
fact it weighs that much) The car immediately slowed down. I ran shift loops
at a different track so know one would bother me for two days , tried
jettting , tried 1/2 inch fuel line  and bigger pump. Different timing
settting , moved the cam etc etc . Could just get the car into the 11s with
11.76 being the best on an extremely good run with awesome hook.  MPH was
also down so I took the engine apart to see if all was well. It was. I
retested the heads on my flow bench and came again up against the limited
lift abilty of the heads. I took another head and ported each intake port
different including one  bronzed up and holding a 2.3 inch valve made from a
reworked BB chey valve.Still was unalble to get flow above what my heads
flowed (I still have this test piece by the  way.) So i contacted  cam
manufacturers and asked for a cam with similar opening and closing durations
as the Ultradyne but reduced lift. Lunati was able to supply a cam that had
exactly the same specs except it was 520 lift. This will be the perfect test
i thought to see if my tests were correct or if i was just dreaming. I
installled the cam and immeditaely the car ran 11.51 and the miles per hour
returned . The Lunati was an excellant cam but hard on valve springs. It ran
exactly to the tenth of a second what the STX 20  racer brown ran and the
racer brown was very easy on parts so I eventually reinstalled it.
Mr Dvorak by the way draws the line at 530 lift while I stretch it to 540 .
but even if I am an idiot he is no fool when it comes to these motors. So
bottom line is would  a car with a j high lift ultradyne or Hughs cam and
ported iron heads run faster with a STX 20 racer brown or the 520 Lunati
listed in my book? The answer is YES.  Because the cam more suits the design
of the iron cly heads.
I believe however with after market heads the ultradyne would do the job if
the heads support flow above say 615 to 629 lift.
As for the rocker ratios. I would like so see a controlled test back to back
runs  with 1.5s 1.6s and 1.7 on an iron head engine. I suspect the actual
results would be "dissappointing" to say the least however me and Wagar are
going to try that this summer. to find out for sure because there is nothing
like actually testing the stuff. I asked my cam grinders what they thought
and they both said "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. There are many
factors involved "
We made a set of 1.7s in the seventies and tried them on my 440 dart. there
was 0 difference  but times have a changed and i want to try it again.
Having said all that if you love your cam just enjoy it and dont worry about
what i think.. You car is running real strong and that is all that matters.
My only intent is to help us all go faster with fewer bucks spent.
Don

Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

[AD removed for archives]
Take movies and games anywhere with a Free Playstation Portable!
caadz4ebV1hOjf/ProductTestPanel

----
topic.  Thanks!

[AD removed for archives]
Get a Free Sirius Satellite Package, don't pass on this!
caadAcobOyW3Nf/ProductTestPanel

----

bOyW3N.