Lightweight internals.

[AD removed for archives]
FREE Zoobooks Elephants ISSUE and tiger POSTER!
Is your child reading? Zoobooks is guaranteed to improve
your child?s reading skills. Click below to sign up now!
caadCUzbOyW3Na/Zoobooks

I refuse to believe that the use of lightweight internals has any signficant effect on the accelaration of a 3000 pound plus automibile.
I am sure in a dragster at high rpm or in a prostocker reaching 8000 plus it is a benifit although I bet it is very very slight. and it certainly reduces strain but in a broacket style car i think we are kidding ourselves.
I have redone two motors where the owner decided to replace my homemade parts with super duoer forged lightweitght wonderful pistons after  a few beers and discussion with the "pros" (who both these racer have continually beaten for several years) around the campfire at the local drags and neither car gained so much as a tenth of a second despite their strong wishes and high dollars spent. One was Wagers 460 cube 400 (Chrysler power 96  "$1500 econo big block" ) and he said to me just a month ago as we were looking at the old pistons and rods. "You know that motor was really faster than the trick one. " The other was the ford 300 6 in Bob Gauleys  T bucket. (It is often at Norwalfk for the late fall race)
I know these were not good controlled experiments but there was 0 gain in both cars from the lightweight parts.
It would be intersting to build two engines identical . one with say TRW L2355fs and one with suer duper light weight whatevers. One with a forged steel stock style crank and one with a supertrick whatever. Rod weights for HP rods like eagles or scats and such are relativley heavy and not much lighter if any then stock parts so that part would be about the same. I bet it would surpise us how little the difference would be in times of the two engines all other things being equal.
There are a lot better places to spend money that will return higher results.
The statement about the cast cranks by the way is true. They are lighter.
Don
.

Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

[AD removed for archives]
The Patented Natural Weight Loss Product Is Now Available
Miracleburn® is the only product with Hoodia & Advantra-Z
Get a Free 7-Day Sample plus a Free Promotional Gift Card
caadCUVbOyW3Nf/Urban Nutrition

----

bOyW3N.