Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 04:54:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: david curtis <justanolddodge@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Rear End Swap Problems maybe i am late however

Maybe i am late in replying,however,give jeff carter a call,JC Auto
(jcauto.com) at 425-672-8324 Lynnwood,WA..he is very knowledgeable in
tapered axles and i do not remember how much needs to be machined off
the end of the axles for a proper fit Good luck

Hello List

My junk yard fleet covers many mopar years.....

My 92 Dakota trashed its second 8 1/4 rear and it was replaced with a 68
Fury 8 3/4.

The (742 case) 3.23s from the fury ended up being noisey so my 65 satellite gave up
its (741 case) 3.23s for the Dakota...also took a big-little u-joint to make work.

Once the gear noise was gone a wheel bearing was noisey..the quick fix should have been
to swap in the satellite's axles...nope...axles were different lengths.

Ended up actually replacing the wheel bearings with new....such a deal.....

So from this junk yard engineering exercise...i can state that 65 "B" body axles
are not the same length as 68 "C' body axles...that i guess should not be a surprise, but many hours of web snooping did not bring up this fact.

The 65 satellite will end up with a home-converted Dana 60 locker from a truck..more fun....

rob in phx

[AD removed for archives]
Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
caadHlxbOyW3Nf/ProductTestPanel

----

bOyW3N.