Re: Ol' Smokey, Part 2 --> Never Mind

[AD removed for archives]
Take our Nationwide Pringles Survey. Receive a Free* Restaurant
Gift card of your choice or a one year supply of Pringles
Hurry, limited time only!
caadQmnbOyW3Na/Chip Survey

At 05:54 AM 8/21/2005, Bob Crockett wrote:

>Putting a burned out bulb in the dome light socket brought the dash
>lights back???  That strikes me as real strange.  however, Automotive
>electrical stuff often works by what I call the FM principle.  The
>second letter stands for Magic, and you can use your favorite "F" word
>for the other.

FM indeed.  Once I put that bulb in, I recalled an episode with my
wife's Brand X Firebird a couple of decades ago, when I couldn't
keep the brake lights working.  Put in a new fuse and bam!, it would
blow out.  I even tried stuffing the fuse holder with aluminum foil,
but after watching it sizzle and glow a bright orange I gave up and
and consigned the car to a local auto. electric service.  It turned
out that a wire leading to the dome light had lost some insulation,
and was grounding against the roof of the car.  Now, why the
brake lights would be killed by a shorted dome light fixture
is something I didn't ponder over much.  I just accepted it as
goofy.

>Congrats on the "fix", but if it were mine, I would at least clean the
>bulbs, sockets and fuseholders as I mentioned.

I imagine I will.  Dodger may also be right about the "reverse
ground", but I'm of a mind to say that whatever works is alright
by me.

Allen Sullivant
Brentwood, Tenn.
62 Dart 440 See-dan
dart440@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

[AD removed for archives]
Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to get your 30-day free supply.
caadOvzbOyW3Nf/Nexiderm

----

bOyW3N.