From: Don Dulmage <big-d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:03:48 -0400
Subject: 383 no guts

[AD removed for archives]
Are you a lottery player?Play smarter! Improve your
odds  and detect winning patterns. Access the best
kept lottery secret on the Net. Easy to use!
caadVJPb7rUhMa/Lottery Vault

A couple of problems with the 383. We have done several recently (past couple of
years.)
First problem is pistons. The two barrel pistons are low compression   and with
factory tolerances compression ratrio would be in the 8 to 8.5 to 1 area.
Relacement pistons from all companies are only 9 to 1s  which with factory
machining tolerances will still only net  just under 9 to 1 comp ratios. (high
8s)
This is one big reason why  these engines often seem to have less when rebuilt
then before even..
Comp ratio is a big factor in bottom end grunt.
The only company i am aware of making over 9 to 1 to 1 pistons for these engines
is federal (Sealed power TRW etc)  (L2315F)
These are forged replacements with weights and demensions as original but even
these with out a good blueprint will only yield 9.84 to 1.
HOWEVER. With a careful choice of cams you can wake  a low compression engine
up. You need a dual pattern cam that closes the intake valve early  but with a
normal exhaust pattern.
Some of the milder  comp cam extreme  energy hydraulics work well in this
application. ie  268 ex e hyd.
Also a BIg factor is  your distributor curve. to get better bottom end the curve
needs to be shorter and wquicker so you start of with more  advance at idle and
low speed.
to see  advance the idle advance manually to say 8 to 10 degrees.
See if the motors bottom end improves (but dont run it up high , just see if it
has a bit more guts) If it does then do a milder version of the igntion mod in
my book in the Ignition chapter. This will give you more bottom end but total
advance will be the same  when you have completed the mod.
Too see if you have the first  problem  mentioned with not enough comnpression
ratio take a compresssion test  and tell me the results. (One one cylinder would
be enough to know. )
It should be 135 PSI or better for a good  street engine. For really hot about
175 and for race 185 to 225 PSi
If it is around 90 to 110 then  a differerent cam (or  the good pistons)will be
required.
Also  a converter can help.
We use the 175k MP one always with  383s as a minimum even though the book might
scare one into believing that is an almost race converter it isnt. it does help
these smaller big blocks quite a bit.
Carb problems ? possible but I dont think so. borrow a good working carb from a
friend for a hour and see would be my suggestion. Doesnt have to be a mopar .
All gas engines require the same  mixture strength more or less.
Electronic ingition  by the way will not and one millionth of a hp to the mtor
but will make it more reliable and it will stay in tune because tthere are no
points to wear which causes the timing and dwell to constantly change from ideal
settings.
Hope some of this helps
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

[AD removed for archives]
Need Emergency Cash? Get Up To $500 Now!
No Credit Checks, Easy & Fast Approval
Cash in you account Overnight!
caadVJ4b7rUhMf/911PaydayAdvance

----
Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person -- directly
to that person.  I.e., send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well as
other personal messages only to the intended recipient, not to the Clubhouse
public address. This practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total volume
of mail and fine tune the content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!

[AD removed for archives]
Get $1000.00 Overnight! Fast and Easy!
No Credit Checks! Many Lenders are 100% Paperless!
Let The Wizard Find the right Lender for you!
caadVJ5bOyW3Nf/911PaydayAdvance

----

bOyW3N.