Cam/crank timing (was RE: american vs canadian polaras)

Cam/crank timing (was RE: american vs canadian polaras)

[AD removed for archives]
caadVJEbOyW3Na/PC PowerScan

I'm reposting Don's mail with a new subject line in case it was missed.
I'd like to hear what folks think about this.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Gary H.

Don_Dabbs wrote:

> This may be off the subject of what you guys have been talking about but
> maybe you can give me reason for this...  I am or was wrench to a friend
> that ran max wedges and hemi's .. I am a BB chevy guy and kept this
> friends cars in my shop eventhough we ran against eachother after the
> class racing stopped.    My friend had long converted his max wedge to
> 440 ( to stay up) and I one time applied some chevy cam phasing to his
> 440.   much to my surprise when I dialed this thing in on a degree
> wheel, I was so amazed at how far the cam / crank timing was off.  If I
> recall correctly, it was some 14 degrees retarded,  according to the
> dial indicator and wheel.   Normally he changed cams and just lined up
> dots and got it together... But when I put a wheel on it ,,14 degrees
> off got my attention.. so far that offset key ways would not correct nor
> did I have enuff bushings or room on the cam gear to correct.   Called
> his buddy at Hale Performance in Ark,,, told me to just rotate the cam
> gear until I got close and then dial in with bushings!,Never heard of
> such but it made sense.. so that I did ,  and we ran heads up from then
> on in the low 10's .   Did we just have a bad set of gears?  Is this
> normal?  Anyone ever do this with same results?   End of story.
>
> Thanks
> Don Dabbs

[AD removed for archives]
Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to get your 30-day free supply.
caadVJZbOyW3Nf/Nexiderm

----

bOyW3N.