glowing headers

[AD removed for archives]
Need a new Cell Phone? A BlackBerry 7250 could be yours free! Find
out how!
caadV2bbOyW3Na/Amazing phone

is caused by lean condition. if on one tube only then check for a vacum laek  on carb or manifold . if it is general rejet thecarb.
many carbs are too lean expecially for our air up here. usually 2 to 4 jet sizes is required to get it right. You are awful hard on your buddy who did you build up.
I dont see how you can blame the engine builder for starter or carb problems.
Let me relate a recent converstion with a friend.
he went for a ride with me in my Max Wedge . What have you done to this he asked. I said i had bought a new 850 holley and had been playing with it  bit by bit to get it to the place i wanted. He has an old reliable with eddy heads in his 67 ply post car. I was correcting some things in his trans and engine as it was built twice by chevy shops and was too tight . When he popped the engine back in he phoned to tell me that i had better look out now because he had relaced his 870 avenger with a quick fuel 950 (over $800 Canadian)
I replied that for that kind of money i would have gladly sold him this carb nd made myself another one.
Pal I told him. carbs that work like this dont come out of a box.
And they dont. that is only the starting point. I start with jet increases and if i dont get the results I want i go back and start over and work away at it till I am happly with it. the very last thing I do is tune the accel pump circuits as otherwise you can get lost as it covers up the main circuit to much. and then when all is right often it needs nothing anyway or maybe one size in the primary squirter if it is a tad lean on breakaway. the current carb is very responsive  with just a slight bit of throttle pressure resulting in a steady hard push  back in theseat as the car pulls hard. On hills the power circuit comes in perfectly and speed is maintained without any change in throttle position.  The choke has been cut of. (My first mod on any Holley carb) and the wall between the primary and secondary side is left standing.
It took a few months of spare time fooling and testing to get it the way i wanted it.
This "the carb performed perfect out of the box with no mods" is hard for me to swallow BTW.
If they said "the carb was more or less ok" I might believe it. But climates are different , engines are different ,cams require different power circuits  etc etc.
Anyway. glowing headers is too lean.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)