Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:50:34 -0800
From: "Robert  neal zimmerman" <northwestweirdo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: fuel pump stumper

thius has been stumping me for several weeks.
 How does that little needle and seat and float assembley keep all that
 fuel pump pressure from gushing past the needle and seat?
  Seems like it would just gush past . I mean I know the float level is
  what holds the neeedle/seat closed but that doesnt seem enough!
 Is there an internal loop in the fuel pump or some way that it idles?
  I am referring here to the simple stock mechanical pump system
  Neal Zimmerman, eugene oregon

Neal...list

4-5 pounds is usual fuel pressure number......your finger over the line can stop the flow.

The float pivot is a see-saw lever with a big mechanical advantage that can easily handle the pressure.

The six pack setup i was running did not like the 6-7 psi from the carter fuel pump.

i needed a regulator set at 5 psi to keep from pushing by the needle and seat of the holley floats.

the new fuel injection systems run 30-60 psi....different story.

rob in phx
65 sat

[AD removed for archives]
caaeatrbOyW3Nf/PC PowerScan