Clock repair questions

Does anyone have any good clock repair tips?  I got lucky and  found a decent
instrument panel in a '64 Fury, which included a clock.   I've managed to
disassemble the clock and get it running with a small  amount of penetrating oil.
 But I'm wondering how to put the crimps back in  the case to hold it all
together as one assembly.

I've tried turning the clock vertical, supporting the lower side of  the case
on a deep well socket, and tapping the crimp on top with a punch.   It worked
well enough to keep it all together, but it's still a little loose in  the
case.  I'd like to hear some other ideas, if anyone has some.   Trying to work
in that little bit of space between the clock face and the body  has me a
little gunshy.  I can see myself screwing up and bending the clock  face up or
something like that.

Also, how does the hands of the clock come off?  I've tried pulling  straight
up on the little "cover" in the center of the clock face, but it won't  come
off.  I can see where the hour and minute hands will come off pretty  easily,
but the second hand and the little cover seem to be stuck on.  It's  not a big
deal at this point, but I'd eventually like to paint the  needles.

And, lastly, why does the rubber always melt around the mounting point for
the power wire on the back of the clock (I've seen two clocks like that)?   The
coil / relay thing looks good on mine, so I don't think the points  stuck
together and fried anything.  Would heat be transferred from the amp  gauge,
along the power wire, and into the clock?  Just curious about  that....

Thanks, and sorry for the long email...
Houston
'64 Belvedere

----