robt

I would use it in a second Robert. In the old days we ran lots of race caars even witrh 741s and never gave it a second though. Never borke any either. My neighbour down the road has a beautiful 70 GTX he has had since new. it now has a warmed over 440 in it. (He thiks it might beat the 63 but I know he has been smokin somethin!) anyway him and his son run it with a set of slicks and 3.91 and have for as long as I can remeber, it is a 440 , 10 to 1 with Edlebrocks anda MP perf cam. That s a big heavy car. you wont have any trouble. I have huge rubber on mine and I hammer it (really i do , just ask someone h who has been for a ride. I have had a noisy front pinion bearing once but that is all. Since you have it and you arent going to run slicks , why not? what is the very worst that could happen? Nothing bad or dangerous. In my experience they will take anthing you can give them . After you run out of strength  I dont believe thata 89 or 41 case would do any better. It would be Dana time.
The only rear end failures (actual breakage) i have ever seen with a 8 3/4 are broken carrier bearing caps and they were both with 89 cases.
Go for it. You wil be fine. mine is a pretty stout engine so it gets no break from me. My tires are 285 70 15s  (can you say stressed!)
Also dont forget. The 41 case was stock for our cars.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)