From: Willard Edison [mailto:waedison1@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:05 PM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Heater repair, 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury B body, non-A/C

Hello everyone. I could not have even begun to troubleshoot and repair the
heater on this car without the advice I've gotten from members of the 62-65
Mopar website, the technical material on the site, and especially Kevin
Merkley, with whom I've communicated steadily since undertaking this chore.

What have I done so far?

I checked the vacuum to the main heater control box by hooking my handheld
vacuum pump to the line that runs from the engine manifold to the heater
control. I pumped the thing to it's max, (30"?) with the OFF button
depressed on the heater control panel. Vacuum held steady continuously, no
drop off.

BUT there was no drop off in vacuum nor did any of the 3 vacuum operated
heater components move when I pushed the COOL, HEAT, or DEFROST buttons.
Vacuum from the engine to the master switch remained at 30" of vacuum.

I tested both sides of the three vacuum devices under the dash independently
with my vacuum pump. THEY ALL WORKED EFFORTLESSLY!, so at this point I think
I either have a blockage in the line or something is wrong with the switch.
If you all have any ideas as to what might be wrong, I'd appreciate hearing
from you.

I also tested the HOT/COOL lever that hooks mechanically to the heater
control valve. The heater control valve is frozen, so moving the lever did
no good. I understand that a refurbished control valve will have the little
dog ear that the cable attaches to from the HOT/COOL lever, so that should
be okay.

Removing the heater control control switch to examine and possibly replace
it is next, but I've hit a snag. How do I remove an aftermarket stereo? The
front of the unit swivels down and pulls off, but I can't figure out how to
remove it from the dash. I can't get at the back of the heater controls to
disengage them until I remove the radio. ANY HELP would be greatly
appreciated.

/Butch Edison/ Ferndale, WA

----
topic.  Thanks!