reground cams

I use a lot of reground cams , I have no trouble with them.
You concerns about how they are made are what mostask so i will try to explain. All cams are maf de the same way , new or reground. They all start with a bigger core. the lobe can never be higher that the cam bearing circumference t so the start withthat and grind down. Cams wi ork on the subtraction princible. Whatever the difference between the highest point and the lowest point or base circle determines the lift (after figuring in rocker ratio for valve lift of course) Cam is a fairly mild performance grind. Should be fine. could probably stand more but it depends what you want.
curently all cam cores for every company are made by only two companies. The quality os not there unfortunatley and flat tappet cam failures are at an all time high. Some oiis dur e to oil and some lifters as well but the materials and hardenig dont seem to be up to snuff. My reasoning is a cam core that has ben run for say 100,000 miles with no problems it probably wear hardened much deeper that the current cores which seem to get little more than a candle warming and a cool dip.  I have lost one reground cam in 35 plus years of enf gine work but only one. Modern cams especially from one particularly well know manufacturer sem to be ade of cheese and warranty is non existant. I prefer to use a reground core for my own projects . My 63 has one , the 400 cheapie has one, the senior dragster has one and some other very successful projectsas well. the finished project or cam is about the same as it would be if made from a new core in most but the extreme cases . If the n reason they arenot built concerns or confuses any i will explain further but so imply put , if you built it up almost any amout it wouldnt go in the engine. It is in my experience as good and probably better than an new off the shelf cam.  as far as materials , depth of hardening etc go. do not give it a second thought. A always breakin is critical . DO NOT allow it to idle  AT ALLfor atleasttwenty minutes. I keep mine  at around 2000 with regular whumpas for just over twenty minutes. This applys to both new cams and regrounds . makes no difference.
Now How to ruin a  new cam 101.(aka "what not to do")
If you want to ruin a cam, any flat tappet cam  new or reground. remove the plugs and roll the engine over till you have oil pressure on the gauge before you fire it. That will usually take care of most cams and they willl be little more then an expensive broomstick by then.
Let the engine idle as soon as it is started . This is a crap shoot. 50% of the time it will wipe a lobe because there is no or little oil being splashed up from the crankshaft to drench the lobes in oil as the lifters and the cam lobs get to know each other.
Anything that delays starting  .like no fuel in the carb or improper timing setting (like 180 degrees out) or wiring not complete   delays the fire up. Most cams that fail are worn out ON THE STARTER>! Before the engine ever lights off.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)