Re: cam positioning

I 'll let Don answer your question for you but I just read an article on oils and the changes in the last several years of the blends. The article talks about what might be your lubrication problems. It seams that the new blends do not have the additives for flat tappets. They recommend using oils marketed for Diesel trucks. If the oil you are using has the Starburst symbil on the can it is not good for flat tappets. Mag was HOT ROD Do-it-yourself Series Fall 2006. Terry ----- Original Message ----- From: "Earl H. " <earlh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 12:08 PM
Subject: RE: cam positioning

Bill,

Since this question is for Don, please don't consider this an answer.
<;-)....<

The cam is ground with a slight angle to the flat face of the cam. This is
facilitate the desired rotation of the lifter. By rotating the lifter, this
does inhibit
both lifter and cam wear.

Since this keeps happening with your block, I would be looking very
carefully at
your lifter boars. They are either to small or to big, or perhaps you have
an oiling
issue. They could also not be perpendicular to the cam face. I have been
using the
AMC solid lifters that Dale makes. He EDM's a small hole in the bottom of
the lifter,
this supplies the face of the cam with a consistent supply of oil. I have
not had a
cam failure since I have been using Dales lifters.

I know we have spoken about this, and you mentioned that it keeps jumping
around.
I would be pulling that thing out and checking everything from the lifter
boars, the
lifters, cam end play, to the cam itself. I have had an issue like this in
the past with
a B block, I switched to Mopar Racing lifters, they are a half a thou
undersize. I did
not have that issue after that. But, each motor and each issue is different.

Earl

This question is for Don D.
I'm told that the cam has to be in the block a certain way. The lobes should
be offset so they are not in the exact center of where the lifter hits it.
I've wiped out two different cams in my Max Wedge motor. I've had 3
different lifters seize up in the bores. Once on number 1, once on number 2
and the last time, number 7. The last one didn't seize up but it did wipe
out my Mopar cam, (solid lifter type). When I pulled the lifer out, it was
wore exactly in the center of the lifter in the exact shape of the cam lobe.
I'm told that the lifter has to be offset on the cam so it rotates the
lifter. Is this true or is someone blowing smoke up my arse? I've had a
problem with this motor since it was put together. Sure would like some
ideas on why this is happening.

Thanks in advance,
Bill C.
PS: I've also had two different oil pumps on the motor too and it seems to
oil alright. Good pressure and flow. High Volume type.

----
Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person -- directly to that person. I.e., send parts/car transactions and
negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended
recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will
protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune
the content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!

 William Cole
 wedge64@xxxxxxxxxxx

----
directly to that person. I.e., send parts/car transactions and negotiations
topic.  Thanks!

----

----

.