Re: OEM 1964 383's

This information from the AllPar site:

Big Blocks

There are eight different big blocks. The B blocks are short deck and the RBs
are tall deck. The RBs require a wider intake manifold.B: 350, 361, 383, 400
RB: 383, 413, 426 Wedge (not Hemi), 440All B engine use 3.38 stroke crank
with different bores, and all RB engines use 3.75 stroke crank with different
bores. You'll notice that the 383 is listed in two differnent places. There were
two different 383s; the RB is very rare, only produced in 1959 and 1960. The
350 was only produced in 1958.Frank McMullen added: “I own a 1960 Chrysler
Windsor, equipped with the RB-383; while the RB 383 was offered only for the 1959
and 1960 model years, according to production numbers offered in Std Catalog
of Chrysler, some 109,000 Chrysler Windsors and Saratogas rolled out of the
factories with the RB-383 engine. There were no RB-383 engines after the 1960
model year; the 1961 Saratoga used a B-383. I discovered through research that
the RB is essentially an "underbored 413" (although it did have different cores
and water jackets... so one cannot simply take their RB 383 and "just bore it
out" to use more common B or RB pistons).”

I have a RB383 engine in my 60 Chrysler Saratoga.  Good engine.  A lot of
potential for bore modification.

Larry (Akron)

----

http:///u/?..