Re: Radio 62/63 Update

I don't think my other reply made it. So I will try this again.
I am also in the process of modifying an am radio to am/fm. I used the 64 Plymouth model 220. I'm not sure which other cars used the same. I used brand new parts. It looks all original from the front except for two micro LEDs that are placed in the station indicator plate where the two circles are. The green one tells you that it is in fm mode. The red tells you when you have the strongest station signal. Also in front that is not original, is a small round hole where an aux audio jack is placed. You can hook up a portable CD player or even your Ipod. The pushbuttons do not work as original. But they do have some use. The first button is used to put it into am or fm mode. The second and third are dummies for now (but I'm still thinking). The fourth is used for stereo or mono mode. That is useful for the guys that want to only have one speaker in the dash. The fifth and last button is a BASS boost. Other specs are, 30 watts x 2, RCA preamp outputs, and an aux power wire for an amp or power ant. I will tell you that Doug is right. It takes time and patience. That is why I am not finished yet. I need to mount the oscillator/tuner and tie in the indicator needle. I got to the point where I had to step back for a while and rest my mind and I will get back on it soon. When I do finish, I will try to get you guys some pics. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Lennemann" <pjlenn@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@>
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 9:18 AM
Subject: RE: Radio 62/63 Update

Doug and Beth wrote:

To All    It was no small feat to put the am/fm radio together. But
after ruining 3 later model radios i did it. I found an old radio from
an import and put it inside the original case.I have pics of finished
radio but not of the assembly stage. And yes i will try to build more as
soon as i find another case/donor radio that will work. Doug B.

Hi Doug, Were you able to retain the pushbutton function?  I have two
working late model factory radios in the trash can right now.  Maybe I
need to fish them out and save them for this project.  The fellow I
bought my car from had found a late model AM/FM Cassette that fit into
the original opening and original holes for the stems.  But it's a
"crappy unit.  My original thought was that I would reinstall the
original radio and buy a SecretAudio system.  But if I could save myself
a few hundred bucks and have an interesting project to work on that
would be like a win/win situation.  What make/year radio did you use?

Paul L.
'63 Sport Fury
440/727
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-lennemann63.html