alt

 Alt discharges slightly at idle
relates to Alternator speed. Prbably a difference in the pulleys. smaller on alt turns it faster. Bigger on crank turns assec faster. Regulator will make little if any difference since it controls max output in voltage only.
Higher amperage may make some difference since low speed output will be slighly higher but really you need to spin it faster if you want it to charge at idle. 40 amps (which is extremely optimisitc for those alternaters which were actually net output in the twentys. (approx 7 amps is lost in the wiring harness for testing purposes) With AC I think you would want at least the 65 amp deal. I use the old original light dudty and at idle with high beams and signal I get the same deal. We been spoiled by new cars with 100 to 14 amp alternators. Anyway I think you said you had air f so I would n move up to the nxt and have them put you old pulley on it if it is smaller.
Don

Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)