To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: Trans pushbutton units

Robert, my 64 factory service manual states-

"The following procedures describe the gearshift
control unit adjustments. If the transmission fails to
shift into NEUTRAL when the parking lock is applied,
inspect the parking lock lever travel in the instrument
panel slot and the parking lock cable adjustment
at the transmission before adjusting the control unit."

there is no adjustment for the gearshift cable except at
the transmission end. your adjustment might be a
quarter turn, of the adjusting wheel, off? but you'll
never know which way, or how much till you pull
the pan and look. the gearshift cable moves very little
for each position, so this adjustment needs to be as
dead on as possible. It was the only way I could do it
when I put the engine and trans back in my 62 wagon.

the control unit at the dash very rarely needs adjusting.
but if you are going to mess with it be careful with the
parking lock lever spring! I've had two break on me,
one on its own, the other while I was trying to remove
it.

hope this helps, just my humble opinion of what might
be the problem.

Schuyler

Schuyler 62 Dodge Dart 440 wagon w/ Poly 318
 <http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-wrobel62.html>
FYI - I Do the Decal designs for the Poly head 318 and more! email me with your needs -
 <schuyler62@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>