trans troubles pt98

Managed another few hours (darned family life!) on the car Saturday, trying out some of the suggestions from the good folks here in 62-65 land. Plenty of good info again to choose from, but decided just to attempt getting the adjustment right, rather than disconnecting the cable. We'll leave that for if & when we have a replacement. One of the suggestions we had was from Jimmy Peavy (thanks Jimmy!), to use the neutral safety switch to set the cable where neutral is. Sounded like a good idea, until we realised there were no wires attached to our switch! Oops, hadn't noticed that before! Now we were getting a bit worried, 'cause if we thought we were nearly there with the adjustment, and decided to start her up and select a few gears, could we be sure we weren't starting up in gear? Not what you want with the car tucked into its corner in the garage! Regardless, we thought it should still work to use the switch to set the Neutral position. We were going to go ahead and rig up a test bulb as per Jimmy's suggestion, but thought we'd go the 'mechanical' method, as with the pan still off we could see the switch and the bracket attached to the end of the cable. What we weren't sure of though, was which part of the bracket (if any) is supposed to be aligned with the switch? To get a rough starting point (despite being told the FSM method doesn't work), we set the cable adjuster to where the manual says should be approx Reverse. Funnily enough, after doing that, for the first time in ages, we could get pushbuttons to stay latched in for ALL gears! However, we weren't confident that the gear selected was actually the gear that the trans had been set to. This would presumably still be determined by the cable adjustment, which we hoped could be set by the correct alignment of the 2-pronged bracket with the neutral switch. Attached are 3 pics of this area with Reverse, Neutral & First, selected (with the cable adjusted as per the FSM). See link below. Does anyone know whether there's a specific position for where the 2-pronged bracket (apologies for the technical jargon!) should be for each gear?

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rob426uk/detail?.dir=/3ca5scd&.dnm=1db0scd.jpg&.src=ph&.tok=phapPUGBi.CgPSA5

Thanks in advance, again, and sorry again for the long post!

Robert
England

----