60-62 Valiants

The standard vehicle was a 3 speed floor shift,,,it
was not the hardiest thing around, My 1961 Valiant /6
4 door (mothers car then mine) was famous for the
shifter collapsing to the floor when speed shifted
hard to 2nd. gear......the shifter was a metal rod
with two tits about 3/8ths inch long welded opposite
each other. The trans shifter forks came directly up
thru the floor and had a "U" cut in the top of the
1/8th inch thick (maybe 1.5 inches wide X 4-5 inches
tall fork. The shifter was on a "wobble" pin with
springs...the forks were so fragile (thin metal) that
a powerful shift motion would bend the fork's out
enough to allow the damn shifter tit to come out of
the "U" at the top and flop (literally) to the floor .
After the "Oh S%$@" moment the first time and a panic
stop to see what the hey!, I learned to actually reach
down and find the 2/3 fork (in the rubber boot) and
shift to third while the shifter lay on the
floor....It was easily repaired by pushing on the fork
to bend it out ...slipping the tit back in the "U" and
the bending the fork back where it belonged.

 It was no bomb by any means , but several Falcons,
Vauxalls *(remember them ?), Cortina Fords, and other
imports grew to repect the "Hearse" as I called
it...(it was black).
Memories of another time....we raced what we had...and
were damn proud to have it.

Now you know why I had the "Maxied" , built by Petty,
63....with a 3 speed floor shifter...it was a
beast...and made a diet of 406's, 409's and the
"Goats" of the day, the GTO's...389's I believe they
were... I had something for them guys...the 427 Fords
were the first to humble me (but not real bad!) and of
course there were the Hemi's...'nough said.

I am ashamed of the street racing that I participated
in...it's a wonder we ain't all dead!

Bob Fortson

It's here! Your new message!

----