To: "62-65 Mopar List" <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 5:54 PM
Subject: Disk Brake Conversion Advice needed for 65 Valiant 100

I am thinking of getting the front 9" inadequate
brakes shoes on my 65 Valiant 100 2 door sedan converted to
Disks Brakes and going to 14" wheels and single Piston
( 225 Sl/6 engine )- Holley 1 BBL Carb ( aftermarket )
( The Carter Ball and Ball was tossed under a steamroller ;-)! )

I have the original Slant 6 Club magazines from 10 or
more years ago detailing the Single piston conversion
and details options for spindles and wheels

Does anyone know if the article(s) is/are accurate that a
trusted and competent shop could do the conversion
with that info.

I do not have time anymore to chase for parts and
I don't don't want to pay the shop $60 an hour
to go look for them in yards. So, can I just buy a
kit with new parts from a reputable source(my guy
rolls his own brake lines) and go that route  or am I just
asking for trouble.

Another trusted shop advised me not to bother going to
the Front Disk Brake conversion and that
they could locate Asbestos shoes and put in Dual Master
cylinder ( which I would have done anyway ) and if
drums are turned ( not sure if anyone would ARC the
shoes in anymore - especially if they are Asbestos ) that
my Valiant will stop as "good as new" !

Well, I am thinking.... "good as new" may still not be sufficient with
everyone else on the road having Disk Brakes on their cars
and rumors that the 65 Valiant had crappy brakes right out of the factory ! ( He'd have to make it stop BETTER THAN NEW ! )

Also, I thought that Asbestos brake shoes had been outlawed, at least
here in California ! ( Especially grinding on them creating asbestos dust!!! )

This is a driver car, not for show. It has about 325,000 miles
on it and my intention is to drive it to the 500,000 mark
if I live long enough.

Any suggestions or info appreciated !

Dennis V
Sandy Eggo