RE: broken speedo

As George said you most likely broke the cable or possibly the trans
gear but before you try to replace anything reach up (if you can) and
see if you can turn the brass fitting on the back of the speedo where
the cable goes in by hand. If you can't pull the speedo out and you will
see a tiny hole on the back with a cotton wick sticking out that needs
to be oiled. I had a 66 Charger that was making a noise in the speedo
and then one day it made a loud squeeling noise and quit working. The
cable was broke but the real problem was that the head had siezed up. I
was able to oil that wick and get it freed up on the work bench by
putting a broken piece of cable in it and running it with a drill motor.
Put it back in with a new cable and and never had another problem. I
guess that wick on the back needs  to be oiled every 30 or 40 years
(LOL) but you have to take out the speedo to do it.

Dan

----