RE: Rear drums

As a safety precaution, I've always thought that it's a good idea to put
the nut back on backwards before installing the puller.   Make it flush
with the end of the axle.  This will allow the hub to break loose from
the axle, while preventing it from accidently flying off the axle, when
it breaks loose....Brian

sky62 wrote:

> yeah, and the puller, was bolted to 4 of the lugs (the lugs were
> press fit into to the drums from behind).
> so pulling on the lugs helps pulling the drum off.
> then center the center piece, of the puller, on the axle and snug it
> up tight.
>   (mine has a big wing nut you can strike with a sledge hammer)
> strike it a couple times and wait a few min. and strike it again and
> wait for it to pop.
> WD40, or the like, helps also.
>   I think you can rent these pullers and I've seen them at swap-meets
> too.
>
> Schuyler 62 Dodge Dart 440 wagon w/ Poly 318
>   <http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-wrobel62.html>
> FYI - I Do the Decal designs for the Poly head 318 and more! email me
> with your needs -
>   <sky62@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> On Sep 5, 2007, at 10:33 AM, Richard Kinsley wrote:
>

> > WiilBill66@xxxxxxx wrote:
> >>

> >> I need a little help from everyone out there. I want to pull off the
> >> rear
> >> drums to check out the brakes. I've heard about using a puller,
> >> but from
> >> what
> >> I've read, it looks like that is to pull the axle. Do you have to
> >> pull
> >> the axle
> >>  to pull the drum off, or am I wrong. I'd rather not pull the axle
> >> if I
> >>  can
> >> help  it. Any help is appreciated.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Wylde Bill
> > =====================================================================
> >
> > Now I'm assuming you do have an early tapered axle. In which case you
> > will have a big nut on the end of the axle. The drum is kinda pressed
> > onto the axle end and the puller attaches to the wheel and pulls the
> > drum off the axle like the harmonic dampner off the crank. You have to
> > remove the nut and cotter pin from the end of the axle of course. It's
> > rarely easy to do but with much persistence and helpful languauge
> > assaults you will get it done.
> >

> > Rich Kinsley  '64 Polara 4 dr 318poly w/goodies
> >

> > ----
> > Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person
> > -- directly to that person.  I.e., send parts/car transactions and
> > negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the
> > intended recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This
> > practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail
> > and fine tune the content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!
> >
> > '62 to '65 Mopar Clubhouse Discussion Guidelines:
> > http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/mletiq.html.

'64 Belvedere
Davenport, Iowa

"The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little
extra."

----