4 speed question

Everyone,
    A friend of mine is convert another guy I knows  Challenger to a big
block with a four speed.  Anyway, Bruce, the Challenger  owner, had a b-body 4
speed and needed an e-body one.  I just so happened  to have one.  I worked out a
trade since it really doesn't matter to me as  long as I have a trans.
Anyway, Scot, the one doing the converstion, told  me that apparently I had given
them a small block 4 speed and they needed a big  block one so they were going
to swap tailshafts if it was ok with me.  I  said that was fine but I thought
that an A-833 was the same small or big block  it was the bellhousing that
made the difference.  Am I wrong?  Maybe  they wanted an 18 spline?  Mine is a 23
spline.  Let me know if they  are mistaken or if I need to hit the books and
study up on my Mopars  again!
Rick Rice
2 '64 Furys
5 '65 Coronets