To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 6:58 PM
Subject: Centerforce Clutch problem

Currently I'm running a Centerforce dual friction clutch in my
Belvedere.  It has about 15,000 miles on it, and even though it's
adjusted properly, it doesn't release right.  I pulled the inspection
cover and I noticed that the fingers aren't sitting at an equal height
in the pressure plate and they don't all contact the throw-out bearing.
I don't race the car, I just drive it to cruise-ins, car shows, and
occasional trips, so I'm confused about the problem.   I'm going to pull
the tranny and replace the clutch this winter.  I like the light foot
pressure of the Centerforce diaphram clutch for street driving vs. the 3
finger type from Hayes and others.  I'm looking at the Centerforce
street / Strip II as a replacement, but I'd like to know why this one
failed before I spend the money for a new one.  BTW... before I
installed this clutch I had the flywheel surfaced.  The tranny input
shaft collar was in excellent shape, the input shaft was repaired by
Passon Performance, and I used a new throw-out bearing and a new pilot
bushing.  I also used a dial indicator to check for concentricity of the
crank to the bellhousing, and it was in spec. Any advice would be
appreciated...Brian

'64 Belvedere
Davenport, Iowa

"The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little
extra."

----

----