no oil slinge

oil slingers are not necessary after about 1970 on with any rebuild using current gasket sets.
Now dont get all excitied , hear me out.
Prior to the 70s the front seal in the timing covers on mopars was a single rubber lip  which was basically a flat piece of rubber ounted in a seal frame or collar. it was unable to handle anything more than a minor spray. About 1970 companies began using a double lipped seal not unlike an axle seal. I remember twice having to remove timing covers from my B mopars and finding the new seals were rubbing on the slinger because the back side of the seal was just a bit longer. I stopped using the slingers with the new style seal right then. I have NEVER had any dampness or wet spots on the front cover in the seal area since. and it is the first thing I throw out if I find it. It now does nothing  and has the potential to cause trouble so I dont use. The factory also has often omitted it.
Now i suspect that someone will not like this idea. I am ready for that. if you must go ahead and use it. When you have trouble ( a phantom scraping noise) just remember what you just read.
Don

Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)