To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 5:31 AM
Subject: Sending unit repair - long read

   Thought I'd make a few comments about repairing fuel sending units
since I just finished repairing my second one last week. I repaired the
one in my 64 Polara last year, but it was fairly easy since I was able
to re-solder the sweep arm back on. I bought a 65 Dart a few weeks ago
with a dead gas guage. There was almost no gas in it so I dropped the
tank (broke the J-bolt and had to weld a bolt to it and cut the head
off). The Dart's guage was a little different than the Polara's, but
worked basically the same way.
   The Dart has a small fiber board piece wrapped with very fine wire
and riveted to a brass L-shaped bracket that bolts through the housing
and attaches to the power wire. On mine, the rivet had broken and the
board dropped into the tank. Once I retrieved it, I drilled out the
rivet, super glued the board to the L-bracket (making sure the other end
of the board sat in the slot made for it) put a finish nail ( a tiny
bolt and nut would work) through the hole, wrapped the wire around the
nail, and soldered both ends of the nail to hold it in place.
   I took out a spare gas guage, used 3 triple "A" batteries taped
together and wired the whole mess together. When power was applied the
guage climbed. I also had to drill a hole in the brass float to let out
the gas that had penetrated it from a small crack, then soldered the
hole shut( be sure to rinse it with a little water). When I reinstalled
the tank and dumped in some gas, the guage worked! Freaking MIRACLE, if
you ask me...considering how flimsy the sending unit electricals are.
Make sure the sweep arm on the float contacts the wire when the float is
raised. The whole thing is very simple, but very flimsy, and I have no
idea if it will last, but it's working right now and saved me $100! Wish
I'd gotten some pics, but hindsight is always 20/20, right?

Jeff Adams
64 Polara

----

----