RE: Gas in the Crank Case

Ken Westerlund wrote:

> Be green to the planet, save some oil and $$$, and just drive it the
> full
> amount.
> If there were some gas-diluted oil left after the drain and refill;
> where
> would it hide? I mean you might have a couple of tablespoons of it in
> the
> lifters, but that would probably be it.
>
> ...plus it is not uncommon for oil in old cars to contain gas and water
> if
> they are driven on short trips. In the old days you used to go for a
> long
> drive and the oil level would drop just from driving out all the
> accumulated
> stuff anyway.  If you get it up to temperature and drive it for 20 miles
> any
> remaining gas would have probably evaporated by then anyway.
>
> Regards,
> Ken

I worked in a gas station in Harrison,NE for about 4 years in the
mid-90,s. It's a tiny town of about 280 with 5 streets by 7 streets. The
old folks drive to the post office each day to get there mail and that's
about it. The car never even gets luke warm probably and temps can get
mighty cold. When I changed oil for them it was very common to have 1/2
to 1 cup of gas in the oil from this practice. You could tell because
their oil levels would be higher on the dipstick a few weeks after the
oil change. That's gotta be hard on the engine life.

----