RE: shrortenaxkes

Don,

Auto Hobby Digest tipped me off to this problem. The article is
available on line and titled "A Chrysler 8-3/4" Rear Axle Guide, Part
III, Section 1 : Thrust Block Variations"

"There was a difference in thrust blocks prior to 1964 that make center
section interchange, as well as axle interchange problematic,  with the
thrust block, or axle shaft thrust spacer that both the left and right
axles butt up against insdie the center of the differential.

Prior to 1964, all open differentials used a thrust block that was
approximately 1/8" to 1/4" thicker than units made after 1964. The Sure
Grip thrust block prior to 1964, however, was identical to all 1964 and
later Sure Grips and open differentials. In 1964, the thrust block width
was changed to match the Sure Grip thrust block width.

This difference in thrust blocks between Sure Grip differentials and
open differentials require that two different axles be produced for each
8-3/4" housing manufactured. This is true of all 1959-1963 cars with
8-3/4"s.

A 1964 and later differential, or any Sure Grip differential, cannot be
used with 1959-1963 rearends and axles originally equiped with an open
differential. The original axles must be machined or original Sure Grip
length axles must be used."

My '63 Fury came with a 741 2:76 open rear. I purchased a 742 3:55 Sure
Grip rear from Randy's Ring & Pinion. They said my axles would work.
They were wrong and the article was right on. My original axles were 30
1/2" long, axle #2070573. They had to be shortened 1/16" to 30 7/16" the
same as axle #2404050. In short the axles from a 741 non-SG up to 1963
are to long to be used in a SG unit.

Nick

----