Fuel pump replacement? (trying again)

Hi All,

Sorry for the problems.  Hopefully this works better; Gmail challenges.

The fuel pump on my 383 powered 63 Polara 500 gave up the ghost.  Fun
20 mile rope-tow ride behind my friend's Yukon to get home.

Two questions:

1. The car is all very stock.  Any opinions on whether to look for a
stock M-2769S, or upgrade to after-market Edelbrock or other?

2. Seems straight forward but I haven't changed a fuel pump before.
Any tricks to be aware of?  I have a full tank; can I disconnect the
pump and quickly plug the hose with a golf tee or something, or do I
really need to drain the tank?  Any other gotchas?  Should I use a
gasket sealer, and if so, what?

As always, thanks.

- Jim
Jim Altemose, Long Island, NY