57s and amc

Funny how on the list one discussion leads to another. First Herb gave us a heads up on the chipkiller  dist conversion for the new hemi. I looked and got thinking. Somewhere in the deep dark area of my head i kept thinking I have worked on a group of engines that have the gear bolted to the front of the cam and keyed on, so i hoped in the Mighty wedge and went down to my former employer and friend's machine shop. I asked "Harry, what engines did i work on that had a seperate distributor oil pump drive gear  on the front of the cam." He laughed, "you are getting old" he said (twas my birthday so i didnt argue) "It was the AMC V8s you worked on." "Yeah" i said" yer right!"
So i go back to the shop and low and behold in drives Bryney who is the last guy I built a AMC V8 for (71 Javelin ) Car was long gone but he was flogging a bunch of old carbs . After we made a deal on three old 750 holley cores I asked if he had any AMC engine parts around. He did. I asked about the cam dist pump drive gear. he didnt think so but phoned an hour later to say he had two and was giving me one for free. He also said I have a distributor you reworkded for me about 15 years ago, for $20 you can have that t0o. I went and got it and matched it up to the hemi block. Dist pump drive  gear can be adapted to the cam with a bit of lathe work and the distributor measuring from the edge of the block down to the gear is perfect. Dist gear will mesh with the drive gear mounted  on the cam and the distributor is narrow enough to ft in the front cover the rough a bored hole and still have meat on both sides. I dont know if that is what they used but this is very very doable if one is very careful. .I guess I  need to find a used front cover and start planning.
All this because we started discussing AMCs. Thanks Herb and the rest as well.
Once the 5.7 has distributors and carbs the rest will be history.  Dont worry i am still keeping the mighty 63 wedge car as is. Some things are sacred.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)