RE: Timing Problem!

I agree with if it runs right something must be marked wrong.  But the
gentleman said it would not idle below 1200 and dies going into gear.
Classic sign of a tooth off, especially with different distributors, same
problem, the advance is compensating for the timing problem.  Big question
is what kind of power does it have?  Probably not what is expected.  A quick
& dirty way or if you like Field Expedient way to check TDC is pull the
plugs out and bring #1 up to TDC using the timing marks then take a probe
such as a plastic straw and have some one insert it into #1 hole and touch
the top of the piston with it. Holding it in place and it is all by feel,
have a second person turn the engine over back and forth across marked TDC
if the piston pushes on the straw it aint TDC and the markings are off.
But! If the piston drops away from the straw going both ways you are at TDC
and need to dig into the possibility the timing may be off else were!

Have a Powerforce Harmonic balancer and I had to remark it totally as
It was a pretty generic Mopar balancer. I had to find and mark a new TDC
I did it with the heads off and a dial indicator so as to try to get it
Dead on. If it runs right something must be marked wrong.

----