From: Paul Lennemann [mailto:pjlenn@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 2:55 PM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Steering coupler & shift cable ??

Paul Lennemann wrote:

> I have a couple of questions as I get ready to re-install my engine
> which hopefully will be done in a week or so.
> First, the steering coupler which is the little rectangular box shaped
> component on the bottom end of the steering shaft where it attaches to
> the steering gear.  The seal on mine is shot and should be replaced.
> What is the purpose of this piece?  Is it a type of u-joint?  And to
> replace the seal will I have to remove the shaft from the column housing
>
> and install it from the top or steering wheel end?  In order to access
> the inside of this it looks like I would have to pry open the tabs on
> the "lid" to get inside it. It seems like the end of the shaft inside
> this coupling is "flared" which might not let you install the seal from
> the bottom end.  It doesn't really speak to this in the FSM.
> Second, The shifter cable (automatic).  The sheathing has been melted
> through about a foot above where it goes into the transmission.  Will I
> get a fluid leak through this from the inside of the cable?
>
> Happy 4th
>
> Paul L.
> '63 Sport Fury
> 440/727
> http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-lennemann63.html

Thanks to Gary and Butch for their replies.  I should have known the
would be something on the tech page.  I got an idea to try a repair on
the cable.  I have some of the vinyl stuff you can dip tool handles and
other stuff in to coat it.  Maybe with a good cleaning to remove all the
oils etc. I can brush some on over the damaged area and get it to seal.
I'll let you know.

Paul L.
'63 Sport Fury
440/727