while you were all at carlisle

 I was with my old frend G Wager at Canadas first Armdroplive with Rich Christiansen. Over 500 entries. i think final figure was 512 . Gary didnt make the cut but I think it was a sucess anyway. disite shifter troubles which plaqued him every pass. he  dragged his old mirada out of storage and began sorting through his stack if accumulated parts. Over the past few weeks he built his first race engine (A 426 from 400) with a good hydraulic cam and iron heads which he also ported. He ressurected an old 727 auto and had me weld the broken case and checked and repaired the old trans as required. His motor ran fine all weekend and despite being unable to shift it properly it was obviously making good power.
It was a pleasure to watch someone else build and work for a change and I am proud to see him step forward to this level of work on his own car.
Arm drop racing with Rich C is a different deal The crowd loves it. The place was packed and hundreds were standing along the track on both sdes of the track, Despite what you think about the floating dial in and such he runs a lot of cars through in a very short time and puts up with no shenanigans such as staging wars and win splitting before a race. He holds the drivers meeting at  the line in front of the fansd with the track pa system so the spectators are part of it as well. To his credit he has figured out that people wont go to a track to sit for hours in the hot sun while track officalls eat lunch and lounge away and racers sit in the pits and have to be repeatedly called for their class. You dont go back to the pits , you have someone at the staging lanes with your fuel and air tank and the action is constant. I saw probably consevaivley speakin 250 runs in just the two times I was in the stands and it wasnt that long. At no time was nothing happening. At my home track it is sort of similar . On friday night when everyone runs and there is no prize money but just heads up run what ya brung non stop racing the stands are packed . The next day for super pro and such racing there would be only 50 people watching.  MMMMMM Maybe people dont like sitting for hours in the hot sun while the track enforces some arbitrary rule or messes around, maybe this Rich C figured out people go to a race track to watch racing.  Whatever the fans loved it and the sttands were full as well as all standing room.
Unfortunatley i did not see even one of our beloved 62 to 65 mopar cars racing. Lots of Mopars but none of our years, maybe we need to fix that too.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)