buying old tachs and gauges- smart or dumb

buying old tachs and gauges- smart or dumb

I have been scanning ebay for old vintage tachs and oil pressure gauges.
  I have  two  old 440 dual point  distributors with mechanical tach
drive take offs, so I would like to find an old mechanical drive tach.
   I definitely want a mechanical oil pressure gauge as well.
     Now everybody locally tells me to just buy new electric gauges,
BUT, I dont want to do it that way, I want to do it the hard way. And
of course they are trying to sell me new gauges.
     For gods sake the car is a 62 dart, I want it to look vintage/old
school, not some big dopey white face tach with a giant shift light
on the side of it.
   An old Sun or stewart warner from the era would look too cool.
  BUT .....what are my chances of an old tach or oil pressure gauge
being in working condition.??
  neal zimmerman, eugene oregon