Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 5:15 PM
Subject: Hydraulic Lifters and Valve Train Rattle

Earlier this year, I installed a new Comp Cams Hydraulic Lifter Cam with 440Source roller rockers. Now that I've run it a few miles (Carlisle and back), I adjusted the lifters and quickly change the oil and filter on my 440.

When I started it, the oil pressure took a while to build up (need to fill the oil filter, I guess), but took a lot longer than I would have expected. Once I had oil pressure and started it, the rocker train was rattling pretty hard. After putting an automotive stethoscope to the valve covers, found it was the right side valve train. So, shut down the motor, pulled the valve cover but found no problems. Did no lash adjustment, just put the valve cover back on.

No noise now?  Huh? Make any sense?

While we're at it, Comp Cam said to adjust the rocker until it contacts the push rod then give it a half turn more for preload. The studs are 20tpi so a half tune is 0.025 preload. Sound right for preload? I did notice when I pulled the valve covers for the above problem I could turn the pushrods on the closed valves by hand.

 Akron Don

----

----